Ah, fall. Autumn greets us with its blazing colors and there’s no better way to experience it than on an old fashioned fall foliage excursion via train. Here are some excursions within driving distance from the ‘Burgh.
- Oil Creek & Titusville Railroad — About one hour north of Pittsburgh the OC&T offers fall foliage tours through October. Make reservations, because this one sells out fast! Take 3-hour round trip in vintage Pullman Cars. First class tickets are $35. Coach ranges from $20 for adults down to $14 for kids age 2-12.
- Cuyahoga Valley Railroad — About 1-1/2 hours from Pittsburgh, the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad in Ohio, just north of Akron, offers fall excusions from Friday-Sunday. The trip “Steam in the Valley” is offered on several weekends and includes a 2.5 hour ride through the scenic Cuyahoga Valley. Tickets range from $25-$75. Book ahead.
- Western Maryland Scenic Railroad — Approximately 2.25 hours from Pittsburgh, the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad offers a 3-hour excursion starting at around $35. Book ahead. The train winds through Cumberland through Frostburg MD where you’ll stop to witness the train turn around on a historic turntable! You can also dine on board!
- Strasburg Railroad – About 3.5 hours East of Pittsburgh is the Strasburg Railroad, rich with history! Fall excursions depart on a regular basis from September through October! For the kids – the annual DAY OUT WITH THOMAS excursions are pre-selling now for October! Climb aboard a real train, led by Thomas himself! Excursions are about 1 hour and range from about $20 up to $35. Thomas tickets must be pre-purchased.
- Cass Scenic Railroad, Cass, WV — This one is a bit far, about 4 hours from the ‘Burgh. Enjoy a ride through the gorgeous WV mountains aboard a historic shay engine! There are multiple excursions to choose from, from a few hours all the way up to 8 hours! Dine aboard one of the dining cars or take a trip to Bald Knob mountain! Excursions range from $41 to $350! (Book ahead)